Indian Hair (aka Asian Hair, Italian Hair): A variety of fiber types from fine and straight, medium thick with body wave and curly to thick coarse hair. Italian hair is actually Indian hair that has been processed in Italy or Spain and then sold at premium prices.
- High Quantity
- Good Quality
- Variety and Low Manufacturing Cost.
-Indian hair is popular to use for custom made hair extensions, hairpieces and wigs because it can be made to resemble European hair. Although prices for Remy Indian hair increase every 2-3 months, it is still available in the less expensive non-Remy form.
- The Indian hair fiber is small in diameter compared to Chinese hair and after chemical processing can feel and look just like European hair.
- A great attribute of Indian hair is that it comes in a full range of textures and body.
- Low Quality
- Higher Retail Cost.
- Indian hair still requires quite a lot of chemical processing to make it appear as European hair. And the efforts to maintain the integrity of Remy hair and/or buy the best quality in India can increase prices closer to European hair.
- To reduce time and materials, many manufacturers choose to work with non-Remy Indian hair, which must undergo the same processes as Chinese hair that results in a poorer quality.
- Indian hair is also known to have split ends; lice and most exporters handle the hair badly.
Common Use: The remy hair is often produced as European or Italian hair for custom-made wigs and hair extensions. The non-remy hair is processed for custom-made hairpieces, less expensive wigs, and machine and hand-made hair extensions.
Chinese Hair (aka Asian Hair): This type of hair is a thick and coarse fiber that is naturally straight and dark brown to black in color.
- High Quantity
- Low Cost
-Strongest human hair capable of withstanding multiple chemical and mechanical processes.
- Easily mass-produced.
- Comfortable to process at the manufacturing level and there is no shortage of supply.
- Ventilating a hairpiece does not require as much skill or care as with cuticle hair.
- Poor Quality.
- Chinese hair requires extensive chemical processing to output hair that simulates European texture, color and body.
- The majority of the hair is collected and processed as double drawn, non-Remy hair that requires heavy-duty chemicals to remove cuticle layers.
- It is still at a high risk for severe tangling problems because the cuticles are large and the layers are dense.
- The thick strands reflect light differently and appear 3 times as large next to Caucasian hair.
Common Use: Inexpensive off-shelf wigs, hairpieces and machine made hair extensions.
Reprinted by permission of Hair & Compounds Inc. A Vanity Hair Extensions Supplier.
Best Hair Extensions, Salt Lake City, Orem and St George, Utah